Refurbishment of the building located on Collins Street, Docklands, presented an incredible opportunity to work collaboratively to renew an integral part of Melbourne’s history with a modern, sustainable design sympathetic to its heritage value.
We provided services involving the total design and construction of a new 6 storey building and a complete refurbishment of the heritage listed Goods Shed.
The project consisted of restoration of an existing heritage listed structure arranged under three gabled roofs to a new two-level high-end commercial space and development of a new six storey tower. Cast iron columns at nine metre intervals support the truss-framed roofs internally, while the outside walls are solid brick.
The building was completed in an extremely short timeframe so ADG worked closely with the post-tensioned subcontractor by dividing up the design package to ensure the accelerated program is maintained.
The Goods Shed was built in 1889 and refurbishing this building, presents an incredible opportunity to renew an integral part of Melbourne’s history, with a modern, sustainable design sympathetic to its heritage value. The historical façade and key elements of its interior have been retained. A polychromatic, face brick building, the structure is arranged under three gabled roofs each with clerestories. Iron columns at nine metre intervals support the truss-framed roofs internally, while the outside walls are solid brick. The central trusses span fifteen metres and those in the side sections nine metres.
In length the building originally measured 370m. The centre of the Goods Shed contains three tracks and to each side are wide storage and loading areas at the floor level of the rail wagons. Outside walls have arched doors at close centres along the full length of the sides, serving loading areas which also run the full length of both sides of the building, allowing goods to be transferred from horse-drawn vehicles directly inside. The two-storeyed office block is situated in the south-east corner of the building and has a central tower and stucco decoration, including the main door surround. On the blocks south facade is the VR insignia with a crown above, while the east facade displays the construction date, 1889, in the tympanum. The principal south facade features gables in the manner of industrial architecture of the time.
The final development is an impressive example of how our tailored structural design solution have the power to transform public spaces while retaining a strong sense of historical integrity and character.