Southern Cross Prestressing
The original Islington Street Malt Store was erected in 1878 by Thomas Hood for the purpose of making malt liqour. By 1909, Hood’s sons had taken over and the malt house was storing and supplying local brewing companies including the Victoria Brewery.
This project transformed the existing silo structure into six storeys of bespoke apartments. 21 of the 48 apartments are located within the silos themselves, retaining the curved exterior walls from their previous life as a strong and important point of difference.
The development included the construction of a carpark directly underneath the existing silos, bringing the challenge of how to support these massive structures.
One of Collingwood’s earliest and most successful enterprises, the malt store represented an early phase of industrial development in the area. The expansion of the original malt store to incorporate the adjoining silos mirrored the burgeoning brewing industry in Victoria at the time.
Today, the malt store and silos complex are prominent elements of The Islington Street development.